Ovidius High School has been a prestigious presence in the district of Constanta in all its 50 years of existence.
Founded in 1955 with the name of Scoala Medie nr. 3 – Secondary School nr.3 it becomes Liceul nr. 3 – High School nr.3 , in 1965, when the system was changed to 12 years of compulsory education. In 1972, in the presence of cultural personalities from 17 countries and of the representatives of the mayors of Constanta and its sister city, Sulmona (Italy), the school management proposed the name Ovidius be attributed to the high school. The proposal remained unanswered and in 1975 the high school became Liceul de Matematica-Fizica nr.1-High School of Mathematics and Physics. In 1982 it was transformed into Liceul Industrial nr. 10- Industrial High School nr.10 and it was then that the first classes of Computer Science and Information Technology between Danube and the Black Sea are formed. Beginning with the 1st September 1990 it becomes a theoretical high school with the official name of Ovidius.
Our high school has : 31 classrooms; 9 laboratories – 1 Physics lab, 2 Chemistry labs, 1 Biology lab, 2 IT labs; 2 AEL labs, with more than 80 computers (connected in three different networks with internet access); a sports hall; a gym; 2 sport gorunds; 3 language laboratories (English, French and German); a Social Studies lab; a counselor?s office; the school magazine’s workroom; a school projects workroom; a theatre with 196 seats; a conference room and a library with more than 18,000 books. In addition, two medical offices function on the premises: a dentist’s office and a general medical office.
The teaching staff is made up of highly trained, devoted to children professionals, more than 35 of them being qualified with the first degree in teaching.
Our students achievements prove a high level of training reaching standards of excellence. Their average grades upon graduation of various levels of schooling (above 9.00) are indicative of the performance capabilities of our teaching standards. Remarkable are also the results obtained by our students upon entering higher education in pursuit of different specialisations, this being another measure of the flexibility of the training received in high school. Our students have done well in many national and international contests and competitions too, having obtained numerous awards and prizes.
The optional curriculum proposes each year additional classes for intensive study of different subjects, but it also offers many optional subjects such as: Limba Romana Contemporana (Contemporary Romanian, Civilisation and the Natural World between the Danube and the Black Sea, English made Easy, Environmental education, Education for Health, Management of Interdisciplinary Projects, Astronomy, Meteorology-the science of weather evolution, Lab view, Computer programming, Web Programming, Php and My Sql, Imparare la lingua italiana (Learning Italian).
The Extracurricular Activities represent an interesting component of our students lives in OvidusHigh School :
- The Ecology Club was founded in 1999. Its members develop various projects and monitoring programmes with which they have obtained several prizes in different competions each year
- Teen’s club, a partenrship with Ecomissia organization from, Vama, Bulgaria, work on the joint project Communicating our environmental concerns
- The French Theatre Troupe has participated in several national and international festivals (Italy, France)
- The Ovidius Choir is already recongnized for its artistic excellence, with a repertoire much appreciated by its public and by the juries of many competitions
- The Basketball, Hanball and Football teams function sucessfully for both girls and boys.
- The school magazine holds several prizes in school magazines’ competions.
- The CISCO Local Academy offers a diverse curriculum (Networking, IT Essentials, Java, Unix), which allows for the obtaining of internationally acknowledged diplomas in IT.
- The ECDL testing centre.
- The Comenius School Projects Collaboration through conflict analysis and solving and Water-treasure of Europe in partnership with countries from the European Union represent for our students an opportunity of learning and cultivating European values, as well as getting to know the activities of their European peers.
- The Rock bands have formed their personality in this high school and they already have a lot of fans.
- The School Theatre troupes are an ever more applauded form of expression for our students.